The gang got what they deserved.
When: November 30th, 2020
Where: Udomsuk district, Bangkok province
Perpetrators: 18 defendants
Victims: Mr. Weerawat Pheungkrut, 20
What: The Win War has played out through the courts and 18 drivers are going away for a long time. Justice is finally served, albeit late, a whole year and a half after the brawl that saw motorcycle win drivers duke it out on the mean street of Udomsuk in Bangkok (see video here). The brawl wasn’t just a public nuisance, sadly. A stray bullet came out of the skirmish, striking and killing an innocent Kerry courier bystander, only 20 years old.
The court handed down various sentences for the group of 18 defendants that are detailed as follows:
- Mr. Rangsan, the 1st defendant, will be in prison for 24 years and 6 months, fined 2,500 baht
- Mr. Jiraphong, the 2nd defendant, will be sentenced to 27 years and fined 5,000 baht
- Mr. Phansak and Mr. Piya 3rd defendant. 4, 5 years imprisonment, 5,000 baht fine
- Mr. Manop, 5th defendant, 6 years 8 months imprisonment, 6,666.66 baht fine
- Mr. Prajak 6, 27 years imprisonment 10 months, 5,000 baht fine
- Mr. Wanchai, 7th defendant probably 25 years imprisonment, 12 months fined 5,000 baht
- Defendants 8-12 would be imprisoned for 4 years and 6 months, fined 2,500 baht
- Defendants 13-18, 5 years imprisonment and a fine of 5,000 baht
Defendants 1-2, 6-7 together to pay the claimant amount of 280,000 baht with interest rate 7.5 percent per year from the date of filing (6 September 2019) until the payment is completed.
Defend independent crime reporting in Thailand.
Stay informed with weekly digests of top crime stories & original reports. No selling, no spam!
My take: When the news broke about the 20 year old Kerry driver getting struck down as an innocent bystander, I was gutted. This ruling might actually be a deterrent for future brawls between Win driver gangs.
Stay informed: Curated briefs of Thailand crime direct to your email. Free & exclusive weekly newsletter about Thai crime, expat life, and deep-dives into the underbelly of Thailand: https://truecrimethailand.substack.com/